Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Gum Snappin' as an Olympic Sport

I'm a gum snapper from way back.

My auntie, Zona, taught me how when we were on a bus trip to or from North Carolina.

She's an amazing gum snapper and could maybe beat me in the Olympic finals.

I can't stop the snappin'. Once I get the gum, it's a rhythmic tribute to my minor case of OCD. I snap evenly right and left sides.

I was even a snapper back in high school. I remember American Lit with Gene "Garm" Garman, one of my all-time favorite classes.

Garm was at the board on one of the rare occassions when he turned his back on the class. I was happily copying the notes in my notebook and snap-snap-snappin' away. All the sudden, Garm roars, "HOGLUNDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Garbage!!!!!!!!!!!! Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Crap. Had to spit out the gum. It was only one of the two times I was annoyed with Garm.

Know what else?

I can't stand listening to people snap their gum. I've made them spit it out at work.

What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment