Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sometimes When We Touch....

I cannot stop thinking about the old song, "Sometimes When We Touch."

I have it on iTunes and it popped up a BUNCH of times in the last week. It's not a great song, but I love it so I actually Googled it. I really want to understand why it resonates with me.

The song was first recorded and written by Dan Hill.

You ask me if I love you and I choke on my reply
I'd rather hurt you honestly than mislead you with a lie
And who am I to judge you and what you say or do
I'm only just beginning to see the real you

Romance and all its strategy leaves me battling with my pride
But through the insecurity some tenderness survives
I'm just another writer still trapped within my truth
A hesitant prize fighter still trapped within my youth

I'm not really sure about the "hesitant prize fighter" part, but I guess they needed a rhyme. It makes the most sense as a duet.

At times I'd like to break you and drag you to your knees
At times I'd like to break through and hold you endlessly

This part, I GET! I can love like this. Sometimes I want to stand in the background and... well, be the "wind beneath their wings." Other times, I'd like to smack 'em. I'm talking about the people I love.

At times I understand you and I know how hard you've tried
I've watched while love commands you and I've watched love pass you by

At times I think we're drifters still searching for the dream
A brother or a sister, but then the passion flairs again

Still, the best part is the refrain. Listen to it. Feel it. Love it.

And sometimes when we touch the honesty's too much
And I have to close my eyes and hide.
I wanna hold ya till I die -- 'til we both break down and cry
I wanna hold you till the fear in me subsides.

May God bless songwriters. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment