Wednesday, September 2, 2009

"I Promise to Love You"

Last weekend I played the piano at a wedding. 

I've already said I always, always cry at weddings.  From where I sit, I can see the groom's face when he's saying his vows.  He ALWAYS, no matter which groom it is, looks at the woman standing in front of him with such love and conviction while he says "I promise to love you all the days of my life."  He means it when he says it.

At this particular wedding, the couple chose the reading from Corinthians about love.  "Love is patient, love is kind...  Love never fails." 

Think about that line:  "Love NEVER fails."

How many of us really have that kind of love?

Joe loves me like that.  He's patient.  He's kind.  He is not a person who envies others.  He protects, trusts, hopes, and perseveres.

How could I have ever known how blessed I was to find him?

I have a difficult time with love.  I grew up with an addict and daughters of addicts have a tough time with love.  In fact, I wasn't SURE I loved Joe until we'd been together for nearly eight years, and the realization occurred over, of all things, puke. 

Thank God Joe understands that and loves me anyway.

I wish I could tell all those hopeful and loving grooms how difficult loving really is, but wouldn't that be a downer on their wedding day?!?

Instead, as he looks so lovingly at his new wife and says those words that bind him to her, I pray. 

I pray for him to love her like God loves her, and for her to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment