Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Expiation

I finished a great novel this morning, A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George.  George is a brilliant author.  Her stories touch the ugliest the world has to offer and her characters are people I want to know.

The final segment of this book is titled "Expiation."

What a great word.

Expiation.  The means by which atonement or reparation is made.  The process of forgiving a transgression.

Matthew, Mark, and Luke all mention forgiveness. 
Then Peter approaching asked him, "Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?" Jesus answered, "I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times. (Matthew 18:21-22)

"When you stand to pray, forgive anyone against whom you have a grievance, so that your heavenly Father may in turn forgive you your transgressions." (Mark 11:25)

"Stop judging and you will not be judged. Stop condemning and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven." (Luke 6:37)
I've been searching all the corners of my heart for lingering resentment. 

I can't find any.

... And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us...  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment