Monday, February 1, 2010

The First AHA! Moment of 2010

I've embarked on a reading frenzy.  I'm eager to post my critical thoughts about what I've been reading on my other blog in the next few days.  I'm finishing Julie and Julia by Julie Powell.  This book makes me laugh out loud and I love it as much as I love the movie.

Today this book gave me my first serious AHA moment of the year.

Julie's writing about a friend, Isabel, who is about to embark on a journey of self-discovery.

Have you ever watched a friend make the single wrongest choice she could possibly make?  All the time she's looking back at you, beaming, happier than she's ever been, surer than she's ever been, and you're watching her foot about to fall onto nothing, onto air, and there's nothing you can do to warn her off the cliff's edge.  You can't say to her, "My God, Isabel, don't screw over Martin, who loves you, for some English punk guitarist you met on the Internet!"              
                                         Julie and Julia by Julie Powel, page 208
I've had the wrong idea all along.  I thought a true friend makes a human roadblock when a friend is about to make a bad or mad decision, literally jumping up and down, waving both arms wildly in the air while screaming "STOP.  DON'T DO IT!"

Truth is, all a friend can do is stand back and watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment