Friday, February 26, 2010

The Joy of Cooking

Every now and then we find ourselves home alone.  No kids.  Just Joe and I. 

I think the only time we've ever been home alone was in the months between our January 1991 wedding and Adam's November 1991 birth.

It's more fun to be home alone without the not-so-aptly named "morning" sickness we experienced for most of 1991.

The other night we cooked together.

Joe once wanted to be a chef. 

I love cooking.

Seems like a match made in heaven.

And it was.

I made Potage Parmentier, or Potato and Leek Soup, a recipe I've longed to try since I fell in love with Julie & Julia.

1 lb potatoes, peeled and diced with skins
3 cups leeks, thinly sliced and rinsed in a bowl of water (use white and tender green parts only)
2 qts water
1 Tbsp salt
4-6 Tbsp whipping cream or 2-3 Tbsp softened butter


Boil the potatoes and leeks in the water and salt until softened.  Puree in blender to desired consistency.  Top with the softened butter.  Serve hot, room temp, or cold.
Joe made pork ribs.

10 pork spareribs
1/2 c soy sauce
10 cloves crushed garlic
1 Tbsp dried rosemary
1 Tbsp dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 lime, juiced
10 spigs fresh parsley
ground black pepper to taste
2 limes cut into wedges


Place the spareribs into a large pot and fill with just enough water to cover.  Add soy sauce, garlic, rosemary, oregano, bay leaves, lime juice, and 3/4 of the parsley.  Bring to boil and simmer uncovered until the water evaporates (about 25-35 minutes).


Remove the bay leaves and brown the meat, scraping up the browned bits and softened garlic from the bottom of the pot.  The garlic will dissolve into the meat.  Remove meat and drain on paper towels.  Season with black pepper and garnish with lime and remaining parsley.
The soup took care of itself.  It was good.  Very, very good.  Jakob loved the leftovers.

Joe let me crush the garlic.  There's nothing like crushing ten cloves of garlic to release some tension.  He helped me squeeze the limes when I couldn't get the last little bits of lime juice.

I would modify a bit.

First, use equal parts potatoes and leeks.  Gently saute the potatoes and leeks in a little garlic, salt, pepper,r and butter before adding liquid.  Substitute chicken stock for water.  I'm excited to try it.

The ribs... melt-in-your mouth delicious.  And I don't normally like ribs.

The companion? 

Perfect.

I love to cook.  I love to cook even more with Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment