Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Left Foot, Left Foot, Left Foot, Right...

Feet in the morning
Feet at night...
    Dr. Suess
Adam loved The Foot Book.  So did I.  It didn't have millions of words and I was happy to read it 800 times if he so wished.  He pushed his feet in my face during the reading until we both dissolved in giggles.

I always loved baby feet.  They're so fat and sweet and perfect.  Jakob had the best baby feet; they were so sweetly kissable and kissing them made him giggle.  A giggly Jakob made everyone else giggle too.

Somehow I aquired a bit of a foot thing.  I like nice feet, soles especially.  Icky feet bother me so much I once took a photo of gross feet in the checkout line of the supermarket because I was so disgusted. Honestly. People are purchasing food.


Every morning - all four seaons, mind you - I spend time with my feet, my pumice stone, and good quality lotion. 

I don't understand people who ignore their feet.  Often they're very diligent about all other matters of personal hygiene - washing, shampooing, combing, curling, cosmeticing und so wieder.  It wouldn't be so bad, really, if they just wore shoes.

I wonder if my problem is a little bigger than sole neglect.  Maybe the inability to pay attention to frequently invisible feet makes me think about people who spend a lot of time doing right things - befriending, parenting, theologizing - because they should.  Seems to me those things are authentic when they're part of developing a wise and beautiful soul.  'Course, it would be judgmental of me to suggest someone is engaged in soul neglect.

Final foot thought?

Hmm. 

Pumice stones are cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment