Sunday, June 6, 2010

Can Jesus Be Enough?

I played the piano today at a new church with a different group of people.  What fun!  True, it's a triffle nerve-wracking to play thirteen new songs at an unfamiliar keyboard with a bunch of new people in front of strangers. 

The Mass was the usual celebration of Jesus.  On Sunday the parish was also celebrating its graduates.  Father's sermon spoke to the Gospel - Jesus feeding people... feeding us... Same old same old Good News really.  Nearing the end of the homily, the priest addressed the graduates planning to leave for different cities and people leaving for summer vacations and people moving for new job opportunities.  He urged them to find a new parish not based on how much like their home parish it is, but because each new parish celebrates Christ.

"Can Jesus be enough?" asked Father. 

Is He?

Can we do without fancy buildings?

Can we do without icons and stations and crucifixes?

Can we do without music?

Can we do without uplifting sermons?

We CAN.

We can because at the root of it all, at the root of the Mass, we find... Christ.

Christ who said, "Do this in memory of me."  He also said, "Take and eat.  This is my body."  And then He said it again.  And again and again and again.  He said it living.  He said it resurrected.

I take.  I eat.  I worship.

I also enjoy the warmly welcoming beauty of St Henry.  I love the carefully crafted Stations of the Cross.  I make music to enhance the worship experience.  And I certainly think about what Fr Tim says each week.

But I know I can do without any of that.  Jesus is enough for me.

I was thinking about Adam moving to Morris in the fall.  About how he'll choose to spend his Sunday mornings.  While he registered for classes a couple weeks ago, Jakob and I toured the town.  We found Adam's new church located within walking distance of campus.  I pray that's a walk Adam makes at least once each week.

In quiet moments I feel a certain sense of panic at the thought of Adam's departure.  I haven't taught him enough yet.  I haven't fully prepared him for the world.  I haven't given him all the tools he needs.  I need a little more time! 

I think I need to rest in my conviction that Jesus will be enough for Adam.

Today I was talking to a young woman who graduated with Adam.  She told me she thinks Adam is one of the few "men" in her class who is ready for the world.  She spoke of him as someone who can befriend anyone, enter any conversation, enrich any friendship.

Know what?  She's absolutely right.  

I observed him Saturday at his graduation party.  He hosted with Grace.  He warmly greeted every person who stepped in our yard, and there were many.  Many.  He made eye contact with them and thanked them for coming.  He engaged them in conversation and made them welcome at his party and in his home.

Is there anything better than knowing you raised a man who is worthy of praise?  That you surrounded him with a community and a family and friends - a vertible village - fit to help you raise a man worthy of praise? 


Hmmm.

Nope.  There's not a single thing that would give me more joy.  Not a compliment or an honor or an award.

We - all of us - are so proud of Adam! 

I still want a little more time.


No comments:

Post a Comment