Saturday, January 1, 2011

In the Beginning...

Happy New Year!

Today was quite the beginning for Joe and I.

We left early for the airport to start our second honeymoon trip to Hawaii.  We were making great time when Joe asked about my ID.  One or the other of us usually manages all official documents when we travel.  I reached to get my license and with a rolling, yucky sick feeling realized I'd taken my license out of  my wallet so I wouldn't forget it

Turning around on the slick roads, Joe dialed Adam, still awake after his all-night New Year party.  He asked Adam to meet us at the office with our camera, also left at home.  Adam met us there at exactly the right moment and Joe grabbed the passports. 

And we were off... for the second time.

Believing there was no way we'd make our flight, I called every MSP airline.  We found a flight that would get us to our connections, but it was a little expensive.

Not far from our final exit to MSP, I was organizing my work file in our carry-on when I discovered <second, very audible gulp> my driver's license.  Oh yeah, I thought, this is exactly where I put it.  Joe didn't even roll his eyes.  Familiarity, in our case, didn't necessarily breed contempt, but maybe just... familiarity.  He knows me pretty darn well.

Thanks to our early start and Joe's fearless driving, we made it to the airport at exactly 7:15, the last possible moment to check-in for our 7:50 flight.  While I was checking the two bags, Joe was parking.  Not familiar with MSP parking, he discovered he'd have to take a tram and escalator and all kinds of nasty detours to get to security.  The very nice security fellow moved us to the front of the line since our flight was already boarding and we hauled serious ass to our gate.  We were those people we hate, the last ones on the flight.

Still, we made it.  Good thing or it's quite possible there wouldn't be a second twenty years in our future.

We flew from MSP to Chicago's O'Hare.  Our flight there was delayed by an hour, but the agents told us not to worry; we'd make our connecting flight in Denver.  We did - by minutes.  We discovered upon landing in Los Angeles that our itinerary included a stop and plane change in Los Angeles.  Interesting.  There, again, we made it by minutes.

Our luggage wasn't so lucky.  It missed the final flight to Lihue, Hawaii.  It will apparently make the journey solo tomorrow.

We learned so much today!

First, pay for the United upgrade.  It's awesome.

Second, Denver has the best bathrooms in the world of airports.  Hit the little "start" dohickey thing and the seat cycles around until there's a fresh spot in place.  I wanted a picture, but Joe had the nearly left-behind camera, and I'm too afraid to take my iPhone out of my pocket in a bathroom. 

Third, a day of travel isn't so bad if you're traveling with someone you love familiarily

And, finally, who needs luggage on a second honeymoon?  Especially when there's... Walmart.
Yep.  Walmart.  I never shop there, unless it's the only store open on New Year's Day on the first day of vacation. 

<gulp, gulp, gulp>

No comments:

Post a Comment