Friday, November 11, 2011

[Major Freakin' Sigh of Re-Fricken-Lief]

I spent my entire day with Jakob today. What a blessing!

He struggles.  His pain is so out of my range, I can't even come close to understanding.  I thought I came close a couple times when I had my biking injury last summer.  I am now guessing that I had no freakin' idea!

Today, with the advice of people we trust, Jakob had an injection of lidocaine and steroids.  His knee was in bad shape and he has a serious disease.  He has literally tried every single thing he could try to avoid medication or medical intervention. The worst thing about a disease that involves chronic pain is that the victim suffers pain all the time.  Who can live with intense pain every single day?
Jakob has for several years.  And today he was freed of it.  I witnessed his pain, his treatment, and then the return of "real"Jakob.  He was bouncy, nearly giggly, and sitting on the edge of his seat.  When I said, "do you want to skip and dance?" he was ready - though the doctor cautioned him to rest this weekend.
God is good.  (That is such a small statement!)

After dinner, when we were ready to leave, he looked across the table at me, and told me the most heart-wrenching thing I've heard today:  "Mom.  It's so nice to not have a dead limb hanging off my left leg."
No, Jakob, I don't.  I hope you forget how it feels too.

No comments:

Post a Comment