Monday, April 29, 2013

My Brother's Keeper

I have a new favorite song - well, it's one of many new favorites! - called "Hold Us Together" by Matt Maher.

Truth is, I am always first attracted by the music, not the message (I think this is a Holy Spirit thing).  People who know my style will hear this song and know why I love it.  It's that laid back style of music that almost plays itself; I know how my hands will feel when I play it.  It's also a song that makes me think I can sing, and that's sort of dangerous.

Once the sound attracts me, I start to look for the message, which is not always only about the lyrics but also about the story and the storyteller.  More about that in a future post.

In the case of this song, I was drawn to the line "And I'll be my brother's keeper so the whole world will know that we're not alone." 

Why that line? 

Because EVERY time I turned on my car for two solid weeks that was the line that was playing.  No lie.  Two solid weeks.  Live radio.

My response:  YES, LORD, I AM TOTALLY LISTENING.

Meanwhile I'm hearing a story from a friend that makes my heart ache.  I can't hear or see or know about suffering and remain unaffected.  I had to watch the Boston Marathon Bombings in small batches and not at work because I am so stricken by grief when I see suffering like that.  Multiply that a thousand-fold when it affects friends.  I inhabit my friends' sufferings. 

Add to that the fact that I have tried to be the keeper-of-my-"brothers" in the past and it cost me a friendship I valued.  What I said was right and true, but the friend didn't want to hear the truth or look at me after ignoring my advice and after realizing that everything I said was Truth.  I'm sure I look like shame and guilt, and that was never my intent.  I don't want to lose another friendship I value.

I talked with my therapist about the whole issue.  How could I avoid it?  It was the only thing on my mind for a couple months.

Know what she said?  Other people's choices are not my concern.  It's my job to listen and be a friend.  Support.  Comfort.  Etc.

Yikes.  I've been wrong all this time.

And what's with the song?  

Am I my brother's keeper?  Or am I a friend? 

Are those things mutually exclusive?

Is a coincidence really just a coincidence or is it a message?

No comments:

Post a Comment