Friday, December 4, 2009

And when the truth... bends...

Know what I was thinking about?

Liars.

I've rarely told lies in my life.  For the most part, I didn't have to lie.  Most often when I wanted to keep something secret, no one asked the right questions. 

When I did lie... hmmm.  It wasn't good.  Eventually, all the lies were revealed and I was forced to live with whatever shameful thing made me lie in the first place AND the repercussions for the people I hurt.

Liars.  Hmmm...

I've learned to:

1.  Find someone in life to be completely, brutally, histronically honest with.  That is the one person who will keep me safe.

2. Accept liars -- unless the lie hurts you.  Liars give me something they think I want.  If I'm patient, I'll meet the real person eventually and it will be worth the effort.

3.  Ignore people who pass judgement on others.  They have not yet learned the message Jesus brings us.

4.  Tell the truth others need to hear.

5.  Examine motives every day:  was I as authentic as I could be?  If I was, let today be today.  If I wasn't, let today be today.  Tomorrow I'll try something better.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment