Sunday, September 21, 2014

On SMARTS

My husband and I used to watch the television drama Bones.  I used to love that show.



Eventually, my husband started to describe me as Bones.  She's super smart but has not a single social skill.  He described me as someone who put smarts above everything else.  That was not true during our courtship (or I never would have married him), or our marriage (or I would have been unable to even talk to him), and it's not true now (or we would already be divorced).  But every time he said I was like her, I laughed with the rest.

He was wrong about my nature and many other things.

I am not socially challenged.  I love people.  I love hearing their stories.  I love being with them.  I love meeting new people.

I can talk to anyone.  I can listen to anyone.  I can adapt to anyone. I can enjoy anyone.  I can be friends with anyone.  I can teach anyone. I can learn from anyone.  I can, I can, I can…

I am not socially awkward and I do not put smarts before anything else. He was wrong.

I actually even find that I can love him.  Despite his horrible behavior and his attempts to hurt me, I love what we did together.  We have been partners for 28 years.  We had a blessed life during which we raised two amazing - AMAZING - men.  We have done great things in the business world.  We have created something fantastic.  I am not even a little bit sad or regretful for the life we lived.

But I'm very thankful that we are each starting a new chapter.

Blessings on your day!
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment