Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Jesus, Friend of Sinners

What is it about music?

I looked online to see what other people are thinking and saying about music.  Wow.  There's a ton of commentary.

Some things really spoke to me.

  • Music is mysterious.
  • It's a versatile method of communication.  It's both explicit and structured.
  • Music produces an emotional response while it connects performers to listeners (the tempo and articulation affect everyone the same way).
  • Strangely, it also affects our spirit of individuality:  we all like something different musically; we most often listen to what evokes the emotions we want in any given moment (people in love listen to love songs and sad people listen to country music - ha!).
  • Everyone can both appreciate and criticize music.  We are all experts and also all novices.  
  • Music affects anything that can hear.  Animals appreciate music just like humans do.
  • It is the only universal language.
"If you've lost your faith in love and music, then the end won't be long," says Pete Doherty and a few musicians and songsters.

I think that's Truth.  (Sometime I should really talk about how I define Truth.)

I've always said I pray best when I'm making music.  And when I pray, I want to hear the right kind of music.  And I pray all the time, so... well, do the math.

I also think music is where I hear God talking to me frequently and loudly.

I don't understand why anyone feels like telling me how to play music.  When I play by the Spirit, there is NO END to the comments, compliments, and life-changing stories.  When I play how someone tells me to play, no one says a word.  Don't get me wrong; I don't need the comments or compliments; I am an instrument and a minister.  But shouldn't the Spirit win?

So.

Casting Crowns has a new song:  Jesus, Friend of Sinners.

What a song.
Jesus, Friend of sinners
We have strayed so far away
We cut down people in your name...
... the truth's become so hard to see
YES!  My teen friends who've left high school for college are constantly asking me questions.  Do I have to hate gay people?  Can I be friends with someone who has had an abortion?  The [evangelist church down the street] is so much more fun than the Catholic church.

I understand their questions, and I'm glad they ask me.  I'm glad I often have the answers.

We all do bad, bad things in the name of Jesus.  We do things He would NEVER do.
What if we put down our signs,
Crossed over the lines and
Loved life like you did?
We are "plank-eyed".  Read Matthew 7:3-5.

We are people who judge small faults in others while being completely blind to our own faults - even when they are greater faults.
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to the world
At the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts
And open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Break our hears
For what breaks yours.
Please, Jesus.

Break our hearts for what breaks yours.

We need to live lives of mercy.

That doesn't mean we don't need to discern what is Right and what is Wrong.

Knowing and living mercy means we will accept when people choose wrong, and love them anyway.

I think I do.

Still.  My heart is broken for what breaks the heart of the Lord.

God bless,
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment